Monday, August 25, 2014

The Wedding Cake!

Ahhh, the wedding cake.

Back in this post, I shared the inspiration I found when it came to wedding cake!  I thought now I'd go back and talk you through our cake tasting/trying/picking process.

Ant and I knew that we didn't want just a wedding cake.  Dessert is just about my favorite thing ever {no matter how full I am, there is ALWAYS room for dessert!} so I wanted there to be a variety of choices when it came to dessert at our wedding.  Our caterer doesn't specifically do wedding cakes, but does do other desserts! So as part of our menu with them we set up a dessert table that included key lime pie, cannolis, cheesecake tarts, and hazelnut chocolate cake.  That being said, we had to have a wedding cake!  So we decided to get a smaller, two tier cake...that would give us something to cut, and feed a few of our guests too!  Some of the original inspiration I found for two tier cakes were these:
Via SMP

Via SMP

Via SMP

I knew we would be using Mystic Market - they have done graduation cakes for us before, and their new bakery chef did our engagement party cake too!  We reached out and made an appointment for a tasting - and showed up with lots of pictures of things we liked, but no real idea of what we wanted.

The tasting itself was amazing - I never thought there'd be such a thing as too much sugar....but I was just about at my limit by the time I was done!  We decided on vanilla cake with strawberries and creme frosting for the bottom tier, and chocolate with cream cheese frosting for the top tier.

As far as design goes, Ant actually ended up being full of helpful, decisive opinions when it came to this topic!  We were trying to decide if we wanted all white, or some color...and he said we should go with some blush.  We decided on an ombre effect - so that it was pink but not TOO pink.  I wanted the cake to have texture, without being crazy...and had seen a lot that had a rose or ruffled design to them.  Ant, knowing my preferences, didn't think that was quite right, but liked the "polka dotted" look of one we had a picture of.

When we left that day, we had decided on polka dots and blush ombre, but the only photo I had brought was the one above, with a much brighter pink color.  When we got home I did a little more research and emailed her the pictures below to show the color I was more interested in, and the dotted look!

source unknown

Via SMP

The middle cake - our dotted buttercream! Via SMP

The last minute addition I made was the flower - I had been looking into cake toppers and not loving anything I was finding...and I remembered that the Felicia had said something about maybe adding a big flower - so I emailed Noreen! She was more than happy to bring a larger garden rose to add to the cake - which I think was the perfect addition!!!

picture thanks to our DOC Jen!

Photo from the amazing Alicia Ann Photographers
Flowers: Earth Blossoms!

I was outside taking portraits when Felicia showed up to deliver the cake - and was so excited when I saw the final product! It was perfect.  Small, and simple, and so so pretty.  and the best part - it was SO delicious!!!  We had the top tier in our fridge to save for our anniversary...and ended up busting it out the day we got back from our honeymoon - we couldn't help ourselves!

The most important question I have for you! Did you actually get to eat your wedding cake???

No comments:

Post a Comment